While traditionally tonic herbalism is attributed to TCM, Ayurveda also uses herbs to enhance vitality rather than simply treat disease or symptoms. These blends use herbs from both of these traditional medicine systems, as well as western herbs that fall into the same category.
“Herbs that promote a long, healthy, vibrant, happy life, without side effects, even when taken over a long period of time.”
Tonic herbalism is an art form that I have recently delved into that has far exceeded my expectations of what is possible with health.While using foods and basic nutrients to improve health has always been captivating, I now see that the future really lies in the world of herbalism. Once you reach a point of health where you have found a groove with the food that you eat, the exercise you engage in, and the basic cleansing practices that you employ, you begin to look for what is next. My true excitement at this point in my life is no longer disease prevention but health optimization… how good can I really feel? Can I live to 150 years old? Can I run for 2 days straight? Can I survive solely on herbs, air and water? Can I maintain inhumanstrength at 80 years old? These are just a few of the actual accounts of the masters living under the guidance of the tonic herbalism principles.
Tonic herbalism opens the door to a once far-off world full of folklore, spirituality and myths that are becoming more and more real. The myths are no longer stories, they are realities, and utilizing these herbs can truly promote longevity far beyond what we here in the Western world can fathom. So while the Western model of thinking is rooted in disease and disease-prevention, the Eastern model is focused on longevity, vitality, rejuvenation and enhancing our true energy body on both a physical and spiritual level. Now that is what I call juicy! Now if this is the first time you have ever been exposed to tonic herbs, get excited because this may be your new passion as it has been mine. In this guide I am going to give you a massive overview, but do not worry because we will continue to examine all of these in detail in times to come.
In order to be recognized as a tonic herb it must adhere to the following:
- Must have anti-aging characteristics and must aid in the attainment of a long life.
- Has broad and profound health-promoting actions that result in a radiantly healthy life.
- Balances our emotional and psychic energy so as to help improve one’s state of spiritual and emotional well being and happiness.
- Has no negative side-effects when used reasonably, and therefore may be taken continuously over a long period of time if desired, yielding cumulative, long-term benefits. This emphasis on safety is in accordance with the first law of Chinese herbalism—“Do no harm.”
- Must taste good enough to be consumed easily and must be easily digestible and assimilable.
tonic herbal information from theholykale.com